Is ferritin high in hemolytic anemia

DreamWeaver

I'm hoping to get some insight into a medical condition I'm trying to understand. Is ferritin high in hemolytic anemia? I'm researching this condition and I need some help understanding how the two are related. Can anyone provide some insight or resources I can use to learn more? Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Ferritin is a protein that binds to iron and stores it in cells. It is usually found in high amounts in the liver, spleen, and bone marrow. In hemolytic anemia, the red blood cells are destroyed faster than they can be replaced, resulting in a decrease in iron levels. As a result, ferritin levels can be low because there is less iron available for it to bind to.

Causes of High Ferritin in Hemolytic Anemia

Ferritin levels can be high in hemolytic anemia due to increased iron absorption from the diet, increased red blood cell production, or excess iron storage in the body. Iron is an important component of the hemoglobin molecule, so when red blood cells are destroyed, the body may attempt to compensate by increasing iron absorption and storage.

Treatment for High Ferritin Levels

High ferritin levels can be treated with iron supplements, or with medications that reduce iron absorption. If the cause of the high ferritin levels is due to excess iron storage, then drugs that remove excess iron from the body may be prescribed. Additionally, lifestyle changes such as decreasing red meat intake, avoiding alcohol, and increasing exercise can help reduce ferritin levels.