Is egg a rare allergy

measqu

"Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some help. I'm wondering if egg is a rare allergy. I've heard some people say it's common and others say it's not. Does anyone have any experience with this or know any reliable sources of information I can look at? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle: Egg Allergy

Egg allergies are relatively common, affecting an estimated 1-2% of children. While egg allergies can be quite severe, they are usually manageable with careful avoidance and treatment of reactions. Egg allergies tend to be outgrown by the time children reach their teenage years. Despite this, it is important to be aware of the signs and symptoms of egg allergy, as well as the different types of eggs and products that can be allergenic.

Symptoms: The most common symptoms of an egg allergy include hives, vomiting, and difficulty breathing. These reactions can range from mild to severe. In some cases, anaphylaxis may occur, which is a life-threatening allergic reaction that requires immediate medical attention.

Types of Eggs: There are several types of eggs that may trigger an allergic reaction. These include chicken, duck, quail, and goose eggs. Eggs from other animals may also be allergenic, so it is important to be aware of all possible sources of eggs before consuming them.

Products Containing Eggs: Eggs are used in a variety of products, from baked goods to salad dressings. They are also used in many processed foods, such as cakes, cookies, and muffins. In addition, eggs are used as a binding agent in some medications and supplements. It is important to read labels carefully to determine if a product contains eggs or egg-derived ingredients.

Treatment: For those with an egg allergy, the best course of action is to avoid all foods and products that contain eggs. An allergist may also recommend medications, such as antihistamines, to help manage symptoms of an allergic reaction. In some cases, an allergist may recommend immunotherapy, such as allergy shots, for those with a severe egg allergy.