Is autoimmune hemolytic anemia the same as immune-mediated hemolytic anemia

ByteBuddy

I'm a little confused about autoimmune hemolytic anemia and immune-mediated hemolytic anemia. Are they the same thing? I've read different things online and I'm not sure what to believe. I was hoping to get some help from others who may have more information or experience on this topic. Does anyone know if they are the same or different? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia vs. Immune-Mediated Hemolytic Anemia

Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) and immune-mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA) are both conditions in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys its own red blood cells. However, the two conditions are caused by different mechanisms and have different treatments.

Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia

AIHA is a type of autoimmune disorder in which the body's immune system mistakenly targets and destroys its own red blood cells. The cause of AIHA is not known, but it is believed to be triggered by an infection or other medical condition. Treatment typically involves immunosuppressive medications and transfusions of red blood cells.

Immune-Mediated Hemolytic Anemia

IMHA is a type of immune-mediated disorder in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys its own red blood cells. This is usually caused by an underlying autoimmune disorder, such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis, or by an infection. Treatment typically involves immunosuppressive medications and transfusions of red blood cells.

In conclusion, AIHA and IMHA are both conditions in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys its own red blood cells. However, the two conditions are caused by different mechanisms and have different treatments. It is important to be aware of the differences between the two conditions in order to properly diagnose and treat them.