Is autoimmune hemolytic anemia the same as immune mediated hemolytic anemia

strawberry

I'm trying to understand the difference between autoimmune hemolytic anemia and immune mediated hemolytic anemia, and I'm hoping someone can help me out. Is there a difference between the two, and if so, what are the differences? Are there any symptoms that differentiate them? Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia vs. Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia

Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia (AIHA) is a condition in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys its own red blood cells. AIHA is an autoimmune disorder, meaning that the body's immune system mistakenly sees its own red blood cells as foreign invaders and attacks them.

Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (IMHA) is a similar condition in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys red blood cells. However, unlike AIHA, IMHA is not an autoimmune disorder. Instead, it is caused by an abnormal immune response to a foreign antigen.

Both AIHA and IMHA are characterized by a decrease in red blood cell count, an increase in red blood cell destruction, and anemia. Symptoms of both conditions include fatigue, pale skin, shortness of breath, and jaundice.

The treatment for both AIHA and IMHA vary, but may include medications, transfusions, and other treatments. In some cases, a bone marrow transplant may be necessary.

To summarize, AIHA and IMHA are both conditions in which the body's immune system attacks and destroys red blood cells. However, AIHA is an autoimmune disorder, while IMHA is caused by an abnormal immune response to a foreign antigen. Both conditions can cause fatigue, pale skin, shortness of breath, and jaundice, and both require a variety of treatments.