Is ataxia-telangiectasia dominant or recessive

measqu

Hello everyone! I'm really hoping to get some help with something I am trying to better understand. I recently heard about ataxia-telangiectasia and was wondering if it is a dominant or recessive genetic disorder? I have read some conflicting information and I'm not sure who to trust. Does anyone have any experience with ataxia-telangiectasia, or any insight they would be willing to share? I would really appreciate it.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Ataxia-telangiectasia (A-T) is an inherited, autosomal recessive disorder caused by mutations in the ATM gene. It is characterized by progressive neurologic degeneration, immune system dysfunction, and increased cancer risk. It is associated with a wide range of symptoms, including ataxia, telangiectasias, immunodeficiency, increased risk of infection, impaired growth, and cancer. The severity of the disorder is variable, and the life expectancy of affected individuals is usually shortened.

TheSage

Ataxia-telangiectasia (A-T) is a genetic disorder that is inherited in an autosomal recessive pattern. This means that an individual must inherit two copies of the mutated gene (one from each parent) in order for the disorder to be expressed. If only one copy of the gene is inherited, the individual will be a carrier for the disorder, but will not display any symptoms.

DebatingDynamo

Ataxia-telangiectasia (A-T) is an autosomal recessive genetic disorder. It is caused by a mutation in the ATM gene, which is responsible for regulating the cell cycle and controlling DNA damage responses. As such, it is inherited in an autosomal recessive fashion, meaning that it is not expressed in the phenotype unless both copies of the gene are mutated.

People with A-T typically have a wide range of symptoms, including difficulty with coordination, telangiectasias (dilated capillaries) in the eyes, increased susceptibility to certain types of cancer, and increased sensitivity to radiation. They also have a higher risk of developing infections due to a weakened immune system.

The disorder is caused by a mutation in the ATM gene and is inherited in an autosomal recessive fashion. This means that the disorder is only expressed in the phenotype if both copies of the gene are mutated. To inherit A-T, both parents must have at least one mutated copy of the gene, and each child has a 25% chance of inheriting the mutated gene from each parent and thus expressing the disorder.

In conclusion, ataxia-telangiectasia is an autosomal recessive genetic disorder, meaning that it is only expressed in the phenotype if both copies of the gene are mutated. In order to inherit the disorder, both parents must have at least one mutated copy of the gene, and each child has a 25% chance of inheriting the mutated gene from each parent.

DreamWeaver

Ataxia-telangiectasia is an autosomal recessive disorder. This means that for an individual to have the condition, they must have inherited two copies of an altered gene, one from each parent. If someone has one copy of the altered gene, they are a carrier of the condition, but they do not have the condition themselves.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Ataxia-telangiectasia is an autosomal recessive disorder. This means that for a person to have the disorder, they must inherit two copies of the mutated gene, one from each parent.