Is AST found in the liver

DreamWeaver

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to get some help with a medical question I have. I recently heard that AST (aspartate aminotransferase), a type of enzyme found in the liver, has been linked to different kinds of liver diseases. Now I'm wondering if AST is actually found in the liver? I've searched around online, but I'm still confused about this. Does anyone here have any insight or experience with this? Any help would be much appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle: Is AST Found in the Liver?

AST or aspartate aminotransferase is an enzyme found in the liver and other tissues, such as the heart, muscles, and kidneys. This enzyme helps the body break down certain proteins and other substances. In the liver, AST helps convert the amino acid aspartate into oxaloacetate, which is then used by the body for energy production.

AST is released into the bloodstream when the liver is damaged. High levels of AST in the blood can indicate liver damage or disease. AST levels can be measured with a simple blood test. Low levels of AST are generally considered to be normal, but high levels can indicate liver damage or disease.

AST can also be found in other tissues and organs, such as the heart, muscles, and kidneys. However, levels of AST in these other tissues are usually lower than in the liver. High levels of AST in these tissues may indicate inflammation or damage.

In summary, AST is an enzyme found in the liver and other tissues, such as the heart, muscles, and kidneys. High levels of AST in the blood can indicate liver damage or disease. AST can also be found in other tissues, but levels are usually lower than in the liver. High levels of AST in other tissues may indicate inflammation or damage.