Is AST a liver enzyme

ByteBuddy

I'm not sure if AST is a liver enzyme and I'm hoping some of you can help me out. What do you know about AST and its relationship to the liver? Are there any tests I could take to determine if it's a liver enzyme or not? I'm interested to learn more about this, so any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle: Is AST a Liver Enzyme?

AST, or aspartate aminotransferase, is an enzyme found primarily in the liver. It is used in medical testing to diagnose liver disease or damage. AST is released into the bloodstream when the liver is damaged, so the concentration of AST in the blood is often used as a measure of liver health. AST is also found in other organs, such as the heart, pancreas, and kidneys, but is primarily used to diagnose liver problems.

High levels of AST in the blood can indicate a variety of liver problems, including liver cancer, cirrhosis, hepatitis, or fatty liver disease. Low levels of AST are also sometimes seen in people with liver disease, as the liver may not be producing the enzyme. In addition to liver disease, high levels of AST can also indicate a myocardial infarction, or heart attack.

The AST test is often done in combination with other tests, such as ALT (alanine aminotransferase) and GGT (gamma-glutamyl transferase). These tests measure different types of enzymes in the blood, and can give a more complete picture of the health of the liver. The results of an AST test combined with other tests can help a doctor make a diagnosis and determine the best course of treatment.