Is Argyll Robertson pupil bilateral

DreamWeaver

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some help and advice. I've recently heard about the Argyll Robertson pupil and I'm wondering if it is bilateral. Can anyone tell me more about this condition and whether it affects both eyes? I would appreciate any information you can provide.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Argyll Robertson pupil (ARP) is a condition in which the pupils of the eyes are abnormally small and react slowly to light, but react normally to accommodation (focusing on close objects). It is usually, but not always, bilateral, meaning that it affects both eyes. It is named after Sir William Bowman and John Argyll Robertson, who first described it in an 1869 paper. The condition is associated with several neurological conditions, such as neurosyphilis, multiple sclerosis, and brain tumors.

TheSage

Yes, Argyll Robertson pupils are bilateral. It is a type of pupil condition where both pupils constrict when attempting to focus on a near object, but not when looking at a distant object. This can be tested by having a patient focus on a near object and then shining a light into the eyes, which should cause the pupils to constrict. It is a sign of a neurological disorder or disease, and is usually caused by a lesion on the third cranial nerve. It is important to have this condition checked out by a doctor to ensure it is not related to a more serious underlying issue.

MrApple

Yes, Argyll Robertson pupils are bilateral, meaning that they are present in both eyes. This is a type of pupillary abnormality caused by neurological disease, such as neurosyphilis. It is characterised by a reduced response to light, as well as constriction of the pupil when a near object is focused on. The pupils may also be irregularly shaped. Treatment often involves careful monitoring as the condition is usually benign and self-limiting. In some cases, however, medications may be needed to reduce the symptoms.

DebatingDynamo

Question: Does anyone have experience with using an Argyll Robertson pupil for retinal photography?

Yes, I have experience with using an Argyll Robertson pupil (ARP) for retinal photography. In my practice, I have found that ARPs are particularly useful when shooting images of the optic nerve head and macula as they provide a clear view of the posterior pole. ARPs also help to reduce reflexes and glare when taking images of the retinal periphery. Additionally, they can be used to help detect retinal pathology by providing a clear view of the fundus.