Is ALT 99 need for concern

strawberry

I'm concerned about a recent blood test that showed my ALT level at 99. Is this need for concern? I'm not sure what it means or what I should do. Can anyone help explain what this result means and if I should be worried? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

ConceptCrafter

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
ALT 99 is a medical test that measures the amount of alanine aminotransferase (ALT) in the blood. ALT is an enzyme found in the liver and other tissues in the body. High levels of ALT may indicate liver damage or disease.

What is an ALT Test?

An ALT test measures the amount of alanine aminotransferase (ALT) in the blood. ALT is an enzyme found in the liver and other tissues in the body. High levels of ALT may indicate damage to the liver or other organs.

What is a Normal ALT Level?

A normal ALT level is typically between 10 and 40 units per liter (U/L). If the ALT level is higher than 40 U/L, it may be a sign of liver damage or disease.

What Causes High ALT Levels?

High ALT levels can be caused by many things, including:

• Alcohol abuse

• Viral hepatitis

• Certain medications

• Certain medical conditions, such as diabetes or kidney disease

• Fatty liver disease

• Autoimmune diseases

• Certain toxins

• Certain genetic disorders

What Should I Do If My ALT Level Is High?

If your ALT level is higher than 40 U/L, it is important to discuss it with your doctor. Your doctor may order additional tests to determine the cause of the high ALT level. Treatment will depend on the underlying cause. In some cases, simply reducing the amount of alcohol consumed or changing medications may help lower the ALT level. In other cases, more aggressive treatment may be necessary.