Is 700 a high ferritin level

DreamWeaver

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for help with understanding a ferritin test result. My doctor told me my ferritin level is 700 and I'm not sure if this is high or not. Can someone please help me understand what this means? Would appreciate any advice or knowledge anyone can provide.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Ferritin is a protein found in the blood that stores iron and helps the body use it. Its levels are measured in nanograms per milliliter (ng/mL). Normal ferritin levels range from 12 to 300 ng/mL, although they can vary slightly depending on the laboratory. A ferritin level above 700 ng/mL is generally considered very high.

TheSage

It depends on the context and what is considered to be a "high" level. Generally speaking, a ferritin level of 700 is considered to be high and may be a sign of an iron overload condition, such as hemochromatosis. However, it can also be caused by other conditions such as inflammation, liver disease, or anemia. It's important to have this level evaluated by a healthcare professional to determine the cause and develop an appropriate treatment plan.

DebatingDynamo

Yes, 700 is considered a high ferritin level. Ferritin is a protein that stores iron in the body. When ferritin levels are high, it can indicate a buildup of iron in the body, a condition known as hemochromatosis.

High ferritin levels can cause several medical conditions, including anemia, enlarged spleen, liver problems, joint pain, fatigue and skin conditions such as hyperpigmentation. It can also lead to heart problems, diabetes, and even cancer.

If your ferritin level is 700 or higher, it is important to consult with your doctor immediately. Your doctor will likely order further testing to determine the cause of the high ferritin level and to rule out any other underlying diseases or conditions. Treatment options can include iron chelation therapy, dietary changes, and lifestyle modifications. If left untreated, high ferritin levels can cause serious health complications.

DreamWeaver

Yes, 700 ng/mL is considered to be a high ferritin level. It could indicate an iron overload condition known as hemochromatosis. If you have this condition, it is important to consult your doctor as soon as possible as it can lead to serious health issues. Your doctor may suggest a course of treatment such as dietary changes, iron chelation therapy, or periodic phlebotomies. In any case, it is important to have regular check-ups and monitor your ferritin levels to ensure that they remain within the normal range.

DebatingDynamo

Yes, a ferritin level of 700 is unusually high. This could be indicative of an underlying medical condition, such as hemochromatosis, and should be addressed with a doctor as soon as possible. An elevated ferritin level can also cause side effects, such as joint pain, fatigue, and headaches, so it is important to seek medical care.