Is 120 amylase high

DreamWeaver

"Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some help. I recently had a blood test and my amylase result came back at 120. Is this considered high? I'm not sure what the normal range is so any insight would be much appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Subtitle Forum: Is 120 amylase High?

Amylase is an enzyme that helps break down carbohydrates into simple sugars and is produced in the pancreas, salivary glands, and small intestine. Normal amylase levels range from 20 to 140 units/liter (U/L). A value of 120 U/L is considered to be within the normal range and would not be considered high.

However, if the level is significantly higher than normal, it may indicate a medical condition. Possible causes of elevated amylase levels include pancreatitis, mumps, cystic fibrosis, acute appendicitis, and peritonitis.

Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas and can cause elevated amylase levels. Symptoms of pancreatitis include abdominal pain, fever, nausea, and vomiting. Treatment for pancreatitis may include antibiotics, pain medications, and intravenous fluids.

Mumps is an infection that affects the salivary glands and can cause elevated amylase levels. Symptoms of mumps include fever, headache, and swollen salivary glands. Treatment for mumps usually involves rest and over-the-counter pain medications.

Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disorder that can cause elevated amylase levels. Symptoms of cystic fibrosis include persistent coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. Treatment for cystic fibrosis usually involves medications, physical therapy, and lifestyle changes.

Acute appendicitis is an inflammation of the appendix and can cause elevated amylase levels. Symptoms of acute appendicitis include abdominal pain, fever, and vomiting. Treatment for acute appendicitis typically involves surgery to remove the appendix.

Peritonitis is an inflammation of the lining of the abdomen and can cause elevated amylase levels. Symptoms of peritonitis include abdominal pain, fever, and nausea. Treatment for peritonitis usually involves antibiotics and surgery.

It is important to consult with a doctor if the amylase level is significantly higher than normal. A doctor can evaluate the symptoms and recommend the appropriate treatment.