Is 100 AST level high

CuriousCat

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I recently had some blood work done and the results showed my AST level is 100. Is that considered to be high or not? I'm concerned about my health and I'm not sure what to do next. I'm hoping someone can provide some advice on what I should do based on this AST level.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Is 100 AST Level High?

AST, or aspartate aminotransferase, is an enzyme found in the liver, heart, and muscles. It is released into the blood when the liver or heart is damaged. A high AST level indicates that there is damage to these organs.

The normal range for AST is typically between 10 and 40 units per liter (U/L). A level of 100 U/L is considered high and should be further evaluated by a doctor.

Causes of High AST Levels

High AST levels can be caused by a number of different conditions. These include:

• Acute liver injury: A sudden injury to the liver, such as a viral infection or drug overdose, can cause AST levels to rise.

• Chronic liver disease: Long-term damage to the liver, such as from alcohol abuse, can cause AST levels to remain elevated.

• Heart attack: A heart attack can cause AST levels to rise as the heart muscle is damaged.

• Alcoholic hepatitis: This is a type of liver damage caused by excessive alcohol use.

• Muscle disorders: AST levels can be elevated in certain types of muscle diseases, such as polymyositis and dermatomyositis.

Diagnosis and Treatment

If your AST level is high, your doctor will likely order additional tests to determine the cause. These tests may include a liver ultrasound, CT scan, or liver biopsy.

Treatment will depend on the underlying cause of your high AST level. If it is due to a viral infection, it may resolve on its own. If it is due to liver damage, it may require medications or lifestyle changes to reduce the damage.

It is important to follow up with your doctor if you have a high AST level. Doing so can help prevent further damage to your liver and heart and ensure that any underlying conditions are treated properly.