In which condition MCV is increased

measqu

Hello everyone! I'm looking for some help regarding MCV. I'd like to know what kind of condition could cause an increase in MCV. I've read that it's related to anemia, but I'm not sure if that's the only condition that can cause it. Is there anything else I should be aware of? Any advice would be much appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
MCV stands for Mean Corpuscular Volume, which is a measure of the average red blood cell size. MCV may be increased in conditions such as vitamin B12 or folate deficiency, liver disease, myelodysplastic syndrome, and some types of anemia.

Subtitle 1: Vitamin B12 or Folate Deficiency

Vitamin B12 and folate are essential vitamins that help the body produce red blood cells. When there is a deficiency of either of these vitamins, the body is unable to produce enough red blood cells, resulting in an increase in the MCV. Symptoms of this type of deficiency can include fatigue, pale skin, and difficulty concentrating.

Subtitle 2: Liver Disease

Liver disease can also cause an increase in MCV. The liver plays a role in the production of red blood cells, so when it is damaged, it can interfere with the production of these cells, resulting in an increase in MCV. Symptoms of liver disease can include fatigue, abdominal pain, and yellowing of the skin and eyes (jaundice).

Subtitle 3: Myelodysplastic Syndrome

Myelodysplastic syndrome is a type of blood disorder in which the bone marrow is unable to produce enough red blood cells. It can also cause an increase in MCV. Symptoms of this condition can include fatigue, shortness of breath, and anemia.

Subtitle 4: Anemia

Anemia is a condition in which the body does not have enough healthy red blood cells. It can also cause an increase in MCV. Symptoms of anemia can include fatigue, pale skin, and shortness of breath.

MrApple

The MCV (mean corpuscular volume) is a measure of the average size of your red blood cells. It is typically increased when there is an underlying condition causing an excess of red blood cells, such as anemia, polycythemia, liver disease, or certain vitamin deficiencies. It can also be elevated due to a condition called macrocytosis, which is an abnormally large size of the red blood cells. A full medical workup, including laboratory tests and a physical examination, should be done if MCV is found to be increased. Treatment will depend on the underlying cause.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
"What are the symptoms of increased MCV?"

The primary symptom of increased MCV, or mean corpuscular volume, is macrocytic anemia, which can present with symptoms such as fatigue, shortness of breath, pale skin, brittle nails, and dizziness. Other potential symptoms may include headaches, chest pain, a rapid heartbeat, and confusion. It is important to note that increased MCV can also be caused by certain medications, folate or vitamin B12 deficiency, and liver disease. If you suspect you might have increased MCV, it is important to talk to your doctor and get tested.