In which anemia MCV is high

IdeaGenius

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking some help concerning a medical condition I've recently been diagnosed with. I have anemia and my MCV (mean corpuscular volume) is high. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this? I'm wondering what might have caused it, and what treatments are available. I would really appreciate any advice or guidance from other forum users.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Definition of MCV

MCV stands for mean corpuscular volume. It is a measure of the average size of red blood cells in a sample of blood. It is used to diagnose certain types of anemias.

High MCV Anemia

High MCV anemia is a type of anemia in which the red blood cells are larger than normal. This can be caused by a variety of conditions, including vitamin B12 deficiency, folate deficiency, and liver disease. It is also seen in some types of cancer. Treatment for high MCV anemia depends on the underlying cause of the condition.

MrApple

Anemia is a condition in which the body does not produce enough normally functioning red blood cells. In some cases, the red blood cells are normal but there is a decreased number of them. When anemia MCV (mean corpuscular volume) is high, it means that the red blood cells are larger than normal, which can be caused by a variety of conditions, such as iron deficiency anemia, megaloblastic anemia, or anemia from chronic disease. In order to diagnose the underlying cause of the anemia, your doctor will likely order additional tests, such as a complete blood count, iron studies, and other tests to evaluate your general health. Treatment for anemia with high MCV generally depends on the underlying cause.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
"What are the causes of high MCV anemia?"

The most common cause of high MCV anemia is a condition known as macrocytic anemia, which is characterized by an abnormally large mean corpuscular volume (MCV). This can be caused by a deficiency in vitamin B12 or folate, or an increase in red blood cell production due to an underlying medical condition such as liver or kidney disease. In some cases, it can also be caused by certain medications, alcohol consumption, or even inherited disorders. Treatment will depend on the underlying cause, and may include dietary and lifestyle changes, supplementation, or medications.

DigitalExplorer

Question:

What are the causes of anemia with a high MCV?

Answer:
Anemia with a high MCV can be caused by vitamin B12 and folate deficiency, liver disease, and/or alcohol abuse. Other potential causes include hypothyroidism, myelodysplastic syndromes, and chronic kidney disease.