If the dental lesion is not treated, what will happen

DigitalExplorer

Hello everyone,

I have a question about dental lesions. If they are not treated, what will happen? I have a dental lesion that my dentist has recommended I get treated, but I'm not sure if I should. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this and could share what will happen if the lesion is not treated. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Dental Lesions
A dental lesion is an area of decay, damage, or pathology in the hard tissues of the teeth, such as enamel, dentin, and cementum. Dental lesions can be caused by a variety of factors such as poor oral hygiene, excessive consumption of sugary or acidic foods and drinks, smoking, and grinding of the teeth.

Consequences of Untreated Dental Lesions

When a dental lesion is left untreated, it can lead to a range of serious issues. These issues can include:

• Tooth decay: This is the most common consequence of an untreated dental lesion. Decay can damage the enamel and dentin, leading to cavities, pain, and even loss of the tooth.

• Tooth infection: Bacteria can enter the tooth through an untreated lesion and cause an infection. This can lead to severe pain, swelling, and the need for root canal therapy.

• Tooth loss: If a dental lesion is left untreated, it can lead to a severe infection that requires the tooth to be removed.

• Gum disease: Untreated dental lesions can allow bacteria to enter the gums, leading to inflammation and infection.

• Jawbone deterioration: When a tooth is lost due to an untreated lesion, the jawbone in that area can start to deteriorate. This can lead to further complications such as difficulty in chewing and speaking.

Treating Dental Lesions

It is important to treat dental lesions as soon as possible to prevent further damage. Depending on the severity of the lesion, treatment may include:

• Fillings: This is the most common treatment for dental lesions. The dentist will remove the decayed area and fill it with a dental material such as composite resin.

• Crowns: If a lesion is too large, a crown may be needed to cover the tooth.

• Root canals: If the lesion has caused an infection, root canal therapy may be needed to remove the infection and save the tooth.

• Extraction: If the lesion has caused severe damage to the tooth, it may need to be extracted.

Preventing Dental Lesions

To prevent dental lesions, it is important to practice good oral hygiene. This includes brushing twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste, flossing daily, and visiting the dentist regularly for checkups and cleanings. It is also important to avoid sugary and acidic foods and drinks, and to quit smoking if you are a smoker.

TheSage

If the dental lesion is not treated, it can lead to serious consequences. The lesion can become infected, causing pain and swelling. Left untreated, infection can spread to other parts of the mouth and jaw, leading to more serious conditions like abscesses and periodontal disease. If not treated promptly, the infection can even spread to other parts of the body, leading to a wide range of more serious health problems. It is important to seek professional dental care as soon as possible to ensure the lesion is treated before the problem worsens.

MrApple

If a dental lesion is not treated, it can lead to a number of serious oral health issues. Over time, the lesion can worsen and spread, leading to gum disease, tooth decay, and even tooth loss. It can also lead to infection, which can be painful and dangerous if it reaches the bloodstream. Furthermore, an untreated lesion can also cause an abscess, an infection of the tissue and bone around the affected tooth. If left untreated, this can cause serious damage to the jawbone and teeth, and can even cause facial deformity. Therefore, it is important to seek professional dental care immediately if a lesion is present.

strawberry

"If a dental lesion is not treated, the decay can spread, leading to infection and eventually tooth loss. Additionally, bacteria from the infection can enter the bloodstream and cause serious complications. These complications can include heart disease, stroke, and even life-threatening infections. It is important to treat dental lesions as soon as possible to prevent the spread of decay and protect your overall health."