How often is pancreatic cancer fatal

DigitalExplorer

I'm looking for help understanding how often pancreatic cancer is fatal. I'm trying to understand the prognosis for this type of cancer and what the survival rate is. I understand that it's a serious type of cancer and that the survival rate is lower than other types, but I'd like to know more about the statistics surrounding it. Does anybody have any information or insight that could help me out? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Pancreatic Cancer: Overview

Subtitle: What is Pancreatic Cancer?

Pancreatic cancer is a type of cancer that begins in the pancreas, an organ located in the abdomen. The pancreas produces digestive juices and hormones that regulate blood sugar. Pancreatic cancer is a serious and life-threatening condition, and it is the fourth leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States.

Subtitle: How Common is Pancreatic Cancer?

In the United States, pancreatic cancer is the 10th most common cancer, accounting for about 3% of all cancers. It is estimated that in 2020, approximately 57,600 people will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and 47,050 people will die from the disease.

Subtitle: How Often is Pancreatic Cancer Fatal?

Unfortunately, pancreatic cancer is often fatal. The five-year survival rate, which measures the percentage of people who survive at least five years after being diagnosed with the disease, is only 9%. This is because pancreatic cancer is usually diagnosed at an advanced stage, when the disease is more difficult to treat. The five-year survival rate for localized pancreatic cancer, which has not spread to other parts of the body, is significantly higher at 37%.