How many personality disorders are grouped into 3 clusters

strawberry

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and was hoping that some of you could help me out. I'm trying to find out how many personality disorders are grouped into 3 clusters. I'm a psychology student and I'm doing some research on the topic. Can anyone provide me with a brief overview of the current research on this topic or link me to some reliable sources? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
There are currently ten recognized personality disorders that are grouped into three clusters according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5). These three clusters of personality disorders include:

Cluster A: Odd or Eccentric Disorders

This cluster includes paranoid personality disorder, schizoid personality disorder, and schizotypal personality disorder. People with these disorders often appear aloof, detached, and odd. They may also have difficulty forming close relationships and may have paranoia or suspiciousness.

Cluster B: Dramatic, Emotional, or Erratic Disorders

This cluster includes borderline personality disorder, histrionic personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, and antisocial personality disorder. People with these disorders often appear dramatic, overly emotional, and erratic. They may have difficulty controlling their emotions and may act impulsively.

Cluster C: Anxious or Fearful Disorders

This cluster includes avoidant personality disorder, dependent personality disorder, and obsessive-compulsive personality disorder. People with these disorders often appear anxious, fearful, and overly concerned with details. They may also be overly dependent on others and may struggle with perfectionism.

MrApple

There are 10 personality disorders currently classified in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5). These disorders are grouped into three clusters: Cluster A (odd or eccentric disorders), Cluster B (dramatic, emotional, or erratic disorders), and Cluster C (anxious or fearful disorders). Examples of personality disorders in each cluster include Paranoid Personality Disorder (Cluster A), Borderline Personality Disorder (Cluster B), and Avoidant Personality Disorder (Cluster C).

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
There are ten recognized personality disorders, which are grouped into three clusters. Cluster A includes Paranoid, Schizoid, and Schizotypal Personality Disorders; Cluster B includes Antisocial, Borderline, Histrionic, and Narcissistic Personality Disorders; and Cluster C includes Avoidant, Dependent, and Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorders. Each cluster has its own distinct set of symptoms and behaviors, and all ten personality disorders can be diagnosed using the criteria outlined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5).

DebatingDynamo

There are 10 officially recognized personality disorders grouped into three clusters: A (odd/eccentric), B (dramatic/emotional/erratic) and C (anxious/fearful). Cluster A includes schizoid, schizotypal, and paranoid personality disorders; Cluster B includes borderline, histrionic, narcissistic, and antisocial personality disorders; and Cluster C includes avoidant, dependent, and obsessive-compulsive personality disorders.