How long will I test positive for COVID after having it

measqu

I recently tested positive for COVID-19 and am trying to understand how long I will test positive for the virus. I'm wondering if anyone out there has gone through a similar experience and can offer advice on how long I can expect the virus to stay in my system. Has anyone else experienced a prolonged positive test result after having the virus? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Testing After Infection

After being infected with the novel coronavirus, it is possible to test positive for up to three months. However, this does not mean that a person is still contagious throughout this time.

The amount of time that a person tests positive for COVID-19 depends on the type of test used and the individual’s own immune response to the virus. Antibody tests, which detect if a person has had the virus in the past, can detect the virus up to 12 weeks after infection. However, antigen tests, which detect active infections, are typically only positive for up to three weeks.

Viral Shedding

Viral shedding is the process in which the virus is excreted from the body. It is possible to shed the virus for up to two weeks after infection, although the amount of virus that is shed decreases over time. It is important to note that a person is only contagious when they are actively shedding the virus.

Immune Response

The length of time a person tests positive for COVID-19 also depends on their own immune response to the virus. People with a stronger immune response may test positive for a shorter period of time, while those with a weaker immune response may test positive for longer. Additionally, people with weakened immune systems may take longer to clear the virus from their body, and may test positive for longer periods of time.

Conclusion

The amount of time that a person tests positive for COVID-19 after infection depends on the type of test used and the individual’s own immune response to the virus. Antibody tests can detect the virus up to 12 weeks after infection, while antigen tests are typically only positive for up to three weeks. Additionally, viral shedding can occur for up to two weeks after infection, while people with weakened immune systems may take longer to clear the virus from their body.