How long do genital sores last

DreamWeaver

Hi everyone! I'm hoping to get some help from other forum users about an issue I'm having. I'm wondering how long genital sores typically last. I'm embarrassed to say that I'm not sure what caused the sores or if they are even related to a sexually transmitted infection. I'm very worried and would love any advice or information that people can provide.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Genital sores can be caused by a variety of conditions, and the duration of the sores will vary depending on the underlying cause. Common Causes of Genital Sores

Genital sores can be caused by a variety of conditions, including:

• Herpes simplex virus (HSV): Genital herpes is a sexually transmitted infection (STI) caused by the HSV-1 or HSV-2 virus. Genital herpes typically causes painful sores that may last up to three weeks.

• Syphilis: This is another STI that can cause genital sores. Syphilis sores can appear as a single sore, or as multiple sores, and can last anywhere from three to six weeks.

• Human papillomavirus (HPV): HPV is the most common STI in the United States, and it can cause genital sores. These sores typically last anywhere from one to four weeks.

• Chancroid: This STI can cause painful sores that can last up to three weeks.

• Molluscum contagiosum: This is a skin infection caused by a virus. It can cause small, flesh-colored bumps on the genitals that can last up to six months.

Treatment of Genital Sores

The treatment for genital sores will depend on the underlying cause. If the sores are caused by an STI, your doctor may recommend antibiotics or antiviral medications. If the sores are caused by an infection, your doctor may prescribe topical or oral medications. If the sores are due to a skin condition, your doctor may suggest topical medications or other treatments.

It is important to seek medical attention if you have any genital sores, as some STIs can cause serious health problems if left untreated.

TheSage

Genital sores can last anywhere from a few days to several weeks. It depends on the cause of the sores and the type of treatment. For example, sores due to a bacterial or fungal infection may require antibiotics or antifungal medications to clear up. Additionally, sores caused by genital herpes can last for up to three weeks and may require antiviral medications. It is important to seek medical attention if the sores do not go away after a few days, become increasingly painful or appear to be worsening.

DebatingDynamo

Genital sores, or lesions, can last anywhere from a few days to several weeks. It depends on the cause of the sore, as well as individual factors, such as the person's overall health and how quickly they respond to treatment.

Herpes sores, for example, can last for up to three weeks and may recur periodically. Genital warts, caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV), can last for weeks or months, depending on the severity of the infection and the person's immune system.

Other causes of genital sores, such as syphilis, chancroid, and lymphogranuloma venereum, may take longer to heal. In these cases, sores may last for several weeks and may require treatment with antibiotics.

In some cases, the sores may not completely heal, leaving residual scarring or discoloration. This is especially true for recurrent infections, such as herpes.

It is important to see a doctor if you notice any genital sores or lesions. A doctor can diagnose the cause and provide the appropriate treatment to help the sores heal quickly and reduce the risk of complications. They can also provide information on how to reduce your risk of re-infection.

DreamWeaver

Genital sores can last for anywhere between a few days and a few weeks depending on the cause and severity of the infection or condition. If the sores are caused by an infection like herpes, they may keep recurring for months or even years. Treatment is important to help reduce the duration of these sores and prevent further recurrences. It may involve topical creams, oral medications, or antiviral therapy. It is best to seek medical advice from a healthcare professional to determine the right treatment for yourself.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Genital sores can last for up to two weeks or more, depending on the type of infection that caused them. Treatment, such as antibiotics, antiviral medications, or topical creams, can help reduce the duration of the sores. Additionally, regular and thorough hygiene practices can help prevent the spread of the infection and speed recovery.