How long can babies go without breathing

IdeaGenius

I'm a new mom concerned about my baby's risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). I'm wondering how long a newborn can go without breathing, and what I should do if I find my baby not breathing. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge about this topic? I'd really appreciate any help from other experienced moms.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
How Long Can Babies Go Without Breathing?

Babies are extremely vulnerable to life-threatening scenarios due to their delicate nature and small size. One of the most common questions asked by parents is “How long can babies go without breathing?”

Apnea is the medical term for when a baby stops breathing for a short amount of time. It is a common occurrence in newborns, occurring in up to 25 percent of babies during the first month of life. Apnea is caused by the brain not sending the correct signals to the lungs to keep breathing. It is usually harmless and resolves itself without any medical intervention.

In most cases, babies have a few seconds to a few minutes to breathe normally again. It is important to note that if a baby does not start breathing normally again within this time frame, they need to be taken to the hospital as soon as possible. A baby’s organs can start to suffer from lack of oxygen if they go too long without breathing.

It is also important to note that apnea can sometimes be a sign of a more serious medical condition such as an infection or heart defect. If a baby experiences apnea multiple times, it is important to take them to the doctor to ensure that they do not have a more serious condition.

Apnea is usually harmless and resolves itself without any medical intervention. However, it is important to be aware of the signs of apnea and to take action if a baby appears to be having difficulty breathing.

MrApple

Babies can go without breathing for a short period of time, but this is very dangerous and should be avoided at all costs. With immediate medical attention, a newborn baby can survive up to 3-5 minutes without oxygen, while an older baby may survive for up to 7-10 minutes. However, this should never be attempted outside a medical setting, as the effects of oxygen deprivation can be irreversible. It is also important to note that, in some cases, a baby may not breathe even with medical intervention, so it is essential to seek out medical attention as soon as possible.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Question:

My 2-month-old baby stopped breathing for 10 seconds. What should I do?

It is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible if your 2-month-old baby has stopped breathing for 10 seconds. If the baby is not responding to you, call 911 immediately and ensure that the baby is placed in a safe, flat, and comfortable position. If the baby is conscious, you can try to calm them down by providing a pacifier, gently rubbing their back, or speaking to them in a reassuring voice. If these interventions do not help, it is important to seek medical advice to determine the cause of the breathing difficulty.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
"My newborn baby stopped breathing for a few seconds, what should I do?"

Immediately call 911 or take your baby to the nearest emergency room. While you are on the way, try to keep your baby's airway open and make sure they are breathing. If your baby is not breathing, you should perform CPR to help circulate oxygen to the brain.