How is the pancreas described on ultrasound

measqu

I'm wondering if anyone can help me understand how the pancreas is described on an ultrasound. I recently had an ultrasound to check on my pancreas and the technician said something about its size and shape, but I'm not sure what it all meant. Could someone explain to me how the pancreas is described on an ultrasound? What types of words are used to describe its size, shape, and any other characteristics? I'd really appreciate any help or advice about this.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
The pancreas is a gland located behind the stomach and is an important part of the digestive system. It produces hormones that help regulate blood sugar levels and digestive enzymes that help the body break down food. On an ultrasound, the pancreas appears as a soft tissue structure with a homogeneous echogenicity, meaning it has a consistent echo pattern throughout the entire organ. The pancreas is surrounded by a thin capsule of fat and lies in a bed of peripancreatic fat, which is seen as a thin hyperechoic (bright) line. It is also possible to identify the presence of small cystic regions within the pancreas, which may indicate the presence of a pancreatic cyst. Additionally, the ultrasound can be used to measure the size of the pancreas and to assess its shape.