How does Rh hemolytic disease develop

IdeaGenius

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some help understanding how Rh hemolytic disease develops. I know it is an immune system reaction to Rh-positive blood, but I am not sure how it starts or what the risk factors are. Can anyone help me understand this better? I would really appreciate it.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Rh hemolytic disease is a condition that is caused by a mismatch between the blood types of a mother and her fetus. When a mother has Rh-negative blood and her fetus has Rh-positive blood, the mother's body may produce antibodies that attack the fetus's red blood cells. This can cause anemia in the fetus, leading to serious complications.

Causes of Rh Hemolytic Disease

Rh hemolytic disease is caused when a mother with Rh-negative blood and a father with Rh-positive blood have a baby with Rh-positive blood. The mother's body will produce antibodies that attack the baby's red blood cells because they are foreign.

Diagnosis of Rh Hemolytic Disease

Rh hemolytic disease may be diagnosed during a routine prenatal screening. A blood test will be done to test for the presence of Rh antibodies. If the mother has Rh antibodies in her blood, it means that she is at risk of developing Rh hemolytic disease.

Treatment of Rh Hemolytic Disease

If the mother has Rh antibodies in her blood, she may be given a medication called RhoGAM to help prevent the development of Rh hemolytic disease. This medication is given in the form of an injection around 28 weeks of pregnancy. If the baby does develop Rh hemolytic disease, a blood transfusion may be necessary to treat the anemia.