How does polycythemia occur

CuriousCat

I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to get some help regarding polycythemia. Does anyone here have any knowledge about how polycythemia occurs? I've been diagnosed with this condition and I'm trying to understand more about what caused it in my body. Can anyone provide some insight or share their own experience with this condition? I'd really appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Polycythemia is a condition in which an individual has an abnormally high number of red blood cells. It can occur as a primary disorder, or secondary to another illness. In some cases, it can be caused by an underlying medical condition, such as cancer or an autoimmune disorder.

Primary Polycythemia

Primary polycythemia is a rare disorder that is caused by a genetic mutation. It leads to an excess production of red blood cells, which can cause a variety of symptoms. These include fatigue, headaches, dizziness, and shortness of breath. In some cases, the condition can cause complications such as heart attack, stroke, and blood clots.

Secondary Polycythemia

Secondary polycythemia occurs when another medical condition causes an excess of red blood cells. Common causes include chronic lung disease, heart failure, cirrhosis, kidney disease, and certain types of cancer. It is also possible for polycythemia to develop in response to certain medications or treatments, such as erythropoietin, which is used to treat anemia.

Diagnosis and Treatment

Polycythemia is diagnosed through a physical exam and a series of blood tests. Treatment depends on the underlying cause of the condition. If the cause is a genetic mutation, medications can be used to reduce the production of red blood cells. If the cause is a medical condition or medication, the underlying cause must be addressed. In some cases, a phlebotomy may be necessary to reduce the number of red blood cells in the body. This procedure involves removing blood from the body in order to reduce the number of red blood cells.