How does hemolysis affect test results

strawberry

I'm having trouble understanding how hemolysis affects test results. I recently had a blood test and my results came back with a note saying that hemolysis was present in my sample. Can anyone explain what this means and how it affects the results of the test? How does hemolysis influence the accuracy of the test? Are there any steps I can take to avoid it in the future? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Hemolysis is a process in which red blood cells are broken down, and can cause a variety of laboratory test results to be inaccurate or unreliable.

What is Hemolysis?

Hemolysis is the breakdown of red blood cells (RBCs). It occurs when RBCs are exposed to certain conditions, such as extreme temperatures, mechanical trauma, or certain chemicals. Hemolysis can cause a variety of laboratory test results to be inaccurate or unreliable.

How does Hemolysis Affect Test Results?

Hemolysis can affect a variety of laboratory tests, including complete blood count (CBC), electrolyte tests, liver function tests, and renal function tests. Hemolysis can cause an abnormally low hemoglobin or hematocrit, as well as elevated levels of potassium, lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), and bilirubin. It can also cause falsely elevated results in tests for glucose, calcium, chloride, and phosphorus.

How Can Hemolysis be Avoided?

Hemolysis can be prevented by collecting and handling blood samples correctly. The sample should be collected in a vessel that is specifically designed for collecting blood samples and is not made of glass. The sample should also be collected and transferred to the laboratory as quickly as possible, to avoid exposure to extreme temperatures or mechanical trauma. Additionally, the sample should be processed immediately upon arrival in the laboratory.

Hemolysis can have a significant impact on laboratory test results. It is important to take necessary precautions to ensure that samples are collected and handled properly to avoid hemolysis and inaccurate results.

MrApple

Hemolysis is the breakdown of red blood cells, which can occur during or after the sample collection process. This can have a major effect on test results, since hemolyzed samples may contain different concentrations of analytes than non-hemolyzed samples. In addition, hemolysis can interfere with the test methodology or cause inaccurate results due to matrix effects. In order to avoid these inaccuracies, healthcare professionals should take precautions to prevent hemolysis during sample collection and processing.

ByteBuddy

Hemolysis can significantly affect test results. It can cause false-positive or false-negative results, depending on the type of test being performed. Hemolysis occurs when red blood cells are damaged or destroyed, leading to the release of hemoglobin into the serum, which can interfere with certain laboratory tests. This can cause falsely elevated results in tests that measure proteins, enzymes, and electrolytes, or falsely decreased results in tests that measure hormones or antibodies. Therefore, it is important to ensure that samples are properly handled and stored to reduce the risk of hemolysis.

DebatingDynamo

Answer: Hemolysis can cause erroneous results on laboratory tests due to the presence of free hemoglobin in the sample, which can lead to false positives or false negatives. Additionally, the release of enzymes from lysed red blood cells can interfere with test results, leading to inaccurate readings.