How does Covid affect someone with Hashimoto's

CuriousCat

I am a person with Hashimoto's and I am concerned about how Covid-19 may affect me. Does anyone else have experience with this? Are there any health risks that I need to be aware of? Are there any special precautions I should take to protect myself? I'd love to hear what other people in a similar situation have to say, so any help or advice would be appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Hashimoto's, or autoimmune thyroiditis, is a chronic autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid gland. It is the leading cause of hypothyroidism in the United States and is estimated to affect up to five percent of the population. With Covid-19, people with Hashimoto's may be at an increased risk of serious complications due to their weakened immune system.

Risk of Severe Illness

People with autoimmune conditions are at an increased risk of severe illness from Covid-19, and this is especially true for those with Hashimoto's. Those with this condition are more likely to have weakened immune systems, which can make it harder to fight off the virus. Additionally, the disease can cause inflammation in the lungs, which can make it difficult to breathe and increase the risk of pneumonia or other respiratory illnesses.

Treating Symptoms

It is important for those with Hashimoto's to take precautions against Covid-19, such as wearing a mask, avoiding large crowds, and regularly washing their hands. Additionally, they should talk to their doctor about ways to manage their symptoms and reduce their risk of infection. This can include taking medications, such as steroids or immunosuppressants, to help reduce inflammation and strengthen the immune system.

Managing Stress

The stress of the pandemic can also have a negative impact on those with Hashimoto's. Stress can cause inflammation, which can exacerbate symptoms and make it harder to manage the condition. It is important for people with Hashimoto's to find ways to manage their stress, such as practicing relaxation techniques, spending time outdoors, and talking to a mental health professional.

Conclusion

Covid-19 can be especially dangerous for those with Hashimoto's due to their weakened immune system. It is important for those with this condition to take precautions to protect themselves from the virus, such as wearing a mask and avoiding large crowds. Additionally, they should talk to their doctor about ways to manage their symptoms and reduce their risk of infection. Finally, it is important for them to find ways to manage their stress in order to keep their symptoms under control.