How do you confirm chronic pancreatitis

DigitalExplorer

Hello everyone! I'm hoping to get some help with understanding how to confirm chronic pancreatitis. I've read that it can be difficult to diagnose and is often misdiagnosed, but I'm uncertain what tests or imaging need to be done to confirm it. Can anyone here offer any advice or insight on this topic? I'd really appreciate it.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Diagnosis:
The diagnosis of chronic pancreatitis is made based on a combination of medical history, physical examination, laboratory tests, imaging studies, and endoscopic procedures.

Laboratory Tests
Laboratory tests may include a complete blood count (CBC), blood chemistry tests, and a lipase or amylase test. A lipase or amylase test is used to measure the levels of these enzymes in the blood. Elevated levels of these enzymes may indicate the presence of chronic pancreatitis.

Imaging Studies
Imaging studies such as abdominal X-rays, computed tomography (CT) scans, or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the abdomen may also be used to diagnose chronic pancreatitis. These imaging studies can detect structural changes in the pancreas that are characteristic of chronic pancreatitis.

Endoscopic Procedures
Endoscopic procedures such as endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) or endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) may also be used to diagnose chronic pancreatitis. These procedures allow the doctor to visualize the pancreas directly and can be used to detect changes in the pancreas that are characteristic of chronic pancreatitis.