How do you confirm a transfusion reaction

DreamWeaver

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with an issue I'm having. I recently administered a blood transfusion, and I'm concerned that there may have been a reaction. I'm aware that there are a variety of symptoms that can indicate a reaction, but I'm not sure how to confirm if there actually was one. Has anyone here had experience with confirming a transfusion reaction? If so, I'd really appreciate any advice or information that you can provide.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
1. Signs and Symptoms of Transfusion Reactions

The most common signs and symptoms of a transfusion reaction include fever, chills, shortness of breath, chest pain, itching, hives, nausea, and vomiting. Other less common signs and symptoms include low blood pressure, back pain, abdominal pain, confusion, and anaphylaxis.

2. Laboratory Tests to Confirm a Transfusion Reaction

Blood tests are used to confirm a transfusion reaction. A complete blood count (CBC) is done to check for anemia, hemolysis, or low platelet count. A blood chemistry panel is used to check for electrolyte abnormalities, and a coagulation screen may be done to check for clotting problems. Other laboratory tests that may be done to confirm a transfusion reaction include a direct antiglobulin test (DAT) or direct Coombs test, a human leukocyte antigen (HLA) typing, and a crossmatch.

3. Imaging Tests

Imaging tests such as X-rays, CT scans, or ultrasounds may be used to identify any potential complications from a transfusion reaction, such as lung or kidney damage.

4. Treatment

Treatment for a transfusion reaction depends on the severity of the reaction and the individual’s underlying medical conditions. Mild transfusion reactions can usually be treated with antihistamines and/or steroids. More severe reactions may require hospitalization and treatment with intravenous fluids and medications, such as oxygen, antihistamines, epinephrine, and steroids.

MrApple

Transfusion reactions can be confirmed by running a battery of tests on the patient's blood. These tests may include a type and screen, antibody screen, and a crossmatch. If antibodies are detected, additional tests such as a direct antiglobulin test (DAT) and a panel of antibody tests to identify the antibody can be conducted. To further confirm the presence of a reaction, a hemolytic workup should be done to measure the patient's bilirubin levels, lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) levels, and haptoglobin levels. A transfusion reaction can also be confirmed by examining the patient's symptoms; common signs of a reaction include fever, chills, nausea, pain, and redness at the infusion site.

strawberry

Question: What is the most common type of transfusion reaction?

The most common type of transfusion reaction is a febrile non-hemolytic reaction. These reactions occur when a recipient develops a fever during or shortly after a transfusion. Symptoms may include chills, rigors, nausea, vomiting, and low back pain. In most cases, these reactions can be treated with anti-pyretics such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen, and the transfusion can be continued. However, if the reaction is severe, the transfusion may need to be stopped and further medical assessment may be required.

DebatingDynamo

"What tests should I do to confirm a transfusion reaction?"

To confirm a transfusion reaction, it is recommended to do a complete blood count (CBC) to check for any changes in the hemoglobin and platelet levels, as well as a crossmatch test to determine if the transfused blood is compatible with the patient's blood type. Additionally, a peripheral blood smear and a serum free haptoglobin test can be done to look for evidence of hemolysis.