How do I know if I have or chronic pancreatitis or acute pancreatitis

ByteBuddy

I'm hoping for some help here. I've been feeling a lot of pain in my upper abdomen and I'm not sure if it's chronic or acute pancreatitis. Is there any way to tell the difference between the two? Has anyone else experienced this? Are there any tests I should get done to determine which type of pancreatitis I have? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Symptoms of Chronic Pancreatitis

Chronic pancreatitis is a long-term inflammation of the pancreas. It is a progressive condition that usually worsens over time. Common symptoms of chronic pancreatitis include:

Abdominal pain: This is the most common symptom of chronic pancreatitis and can range from mild to severe. Pain may be worse after eating, and may be accompanied by nausea and vomiting.

Weight loss: People with chronic pancreatitis may experience unintentional weight loss due to reduced appetite and difficulty digesting and absorbing food.

Diarrhea: Chronic pancreatitis can cause fat malabsorption, leading to frequent, watery stools and diarrhea.

Jaundice: Jaundice is a yellowing of the skin and eyes due to a buildup of bilirubin in the blood. It can be a symptom of chronic pancreatitis.

Symptoms of Acute Pancreatitis

Acute pancreatitis is a sudden inflammation of the pancreas. Symptoms of acute pancreatitis include:

Abdominal pain: This is the most common symptom of acute pancreatitis and is usually sharp and sudden. It may be severe and may spread to the back.

Nausea and vomiting: Nausea and vomiting may accompany the abdominal pain.

Fever and chills: Fever and chills may also be present due to the inflammation.

Low blood pressure and rapid heart rate: Acute pancreatitis may cause a drop in blood pressure and an increase in heart rate.

Abdominal tenderness: The abdominal area may be tender to the touch.