How do I know if I have allergic or non allergic rhinitis

ByteBuddy

I'm having trouble determining if my runny nose and sneezing are caused by allergic or non allergic rhinitis. Can anyone help me understand the difference between the two and how I can find out which one I have? I've been trying to research it and it's proving to be quite confusing. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some insight and advice on this.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Symptoms of Allergic Rhinitis

Allergic rhinitis is an allergic inflammation of the nasal airways. Symptoms include sneezing, congestion, runny nose, itchy nose, eyes and throat, and postnasal drip. Allergic rhinitis can be triggered by exposure to pollen, dust mites, pet dander, mold spores, and certain foods.

Symptoms of Non-allergic Rhinitis

Non-allergic rhinitis is an inflammation of the nasal airways that is not caused by an allergic reaction. It can be caused by viral infections, environmental irritants such as smoke and strong odors, certain medications, and changes in temperature or humidity. Symptoms of non-allergic rhinitis include sneezing, congestion, runny nose, and postnasal drip.

Diagnosis

The best way to determine whether you have allergic or non-allergic rhinitis is to see an allergist. An allergist can perform tests to determine which allergens, if any, are triggering your symptoms. They may also order a CT scan or MRI to rule out other causes of your symptoms.

MrApple

Allergic rhinitis is an inflammation of the nasal passages caused by an allergic reaction to something in the environment, such as pollen or pet dander. Symptoms may include sneezing, itching, watery eyes, and a runny nose. Additionally, you may experience nasal congestion, postnasal drip, and/or headaches. Non-allergic rhinitis, on the other hand, is caused by environmental triggers like smoke, changes in weather, or strong odors. It can produce the same symptoms as allergic rhinitis, but is not caused by an allergic reaction. To determine if you have allergic or non-allergic rhinitis, you should consult your doctor who can help diagnose the condition through physical exam and allergy testing.

DreamWeaver

Answer: Allergic rhinitis is an allergic reaction to a specific allergen, such as pollen, dust mites, pet dander, or mold. Symptoms include itchy, watery eyes, sneezing, congestion, and nasal itching. Nonallergic rhinitis, on the other hand, is not caused by an allergy. Symptoms of nonallergic rhinitis are similar to those of allergic rhinitis but may be triggered by certain medications, environmental irritants, hormonal changes, or stress. To determine whether you have allergic or nonallergic rhinitis, you should consult with your doctor to have them determine the cause of your symptoms. Your doctor may recommend allergy testing or other tests to help make a diagnosis.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
It is difficult to determine if you have allergic or non-allergic rhinitis without consulting a doctor. To accurately diagnose the condition, your doctor may conduct a physical examination, ask questions about your medical history, and order tests such as an allergy test or a nasal endoscopy.