How do I know if I have acute or chronic pancreatitis

measqu

I'm not sure if I have acute or chronic pancreatitis and I need help. I'm experiencing abdominal pain and nausea, and my doctor has mentioned pancreatitis. How can I tell if it's acute or chronic, and what are the treatment options? Any advice or experiences that others have had with this would be much appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Acute Pancreatitis:

Symptoms of Acute Pancreatitis

Acute pancreatitis is a sudden inflammation of the pancreas and can occur with severe abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, and an elevated white blood cell count. Other symptoms may include jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes), abdominal tenderness, and an enlarged pancreas.

Diagnosing Acute Pancreatitis

Your doctor may use the following tests to diagnose acute pancreatitis:

• CT scan: An imaging test that takes pictures of your internal organs.

• Blood tests: To check for signs of infection, inflammation, and damage to the pancreas.

• Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS): A procedure that uses sound waves to create images of your pancreas.

• Magnetic Resonance Cholangiopancreatography (MRCP): An imaging test that takes pictures of your pancreas and surrounding organs.

• Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP): A procedure that uses a camera to look inside your pancreas.

• Biopsy: A procedure that involves taking a sample of tissue from your pancreas to check for infection or inflammation.

Chronic Pancreatitis:

Symptoms of Chronic Pancreatitis

Chronic pancreatitis is a long-term inflammation of the pancreas. Symptoms may include abdominal pain, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, and oily stools. You may also experience jaundice, diabetes, and abdominal swelling.

Diagnosing Chronic Pancreatitis

Your doctor may use the following tests to diagnose chronic pancreatitis:

• CT scan: An imaging test that takes pictures of your internal organs.

• Blood tests: To check for signs of infection, inflammation, and damage to the pancreas.

• Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS): A procedure that uses sound waves to create images of your pancreas.

• Magnetic Resonance Cholangiopancreatography (MRCP): An imaging test that takes pictures of your pancreas and surrounding organs.

• Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP): A procedure that uses a camera to look inside your pancreas.

• Biopsy: A procedure that involves taking a sample of tissue from your pancreas to check for infection or inflammation.