How do I follow up on ASCUS

measqu

I recently received an ASCUS result after a Pap smear and I'm not sure what I should do next. Can anyone help me understand what it means and what my next steps should be? Are there any tests I need to take or any doctors I should see? I'd appreciate any advice or information anyone can provide.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
If your ASCUS result was from a Pap smear, the recommended follow-up is to have another Pap smear in one year. Your doctor may also recommend additional screening tests, such as a colposcopy, HPV testing, or further testing for sexually transmitted infections (STIs). If your ASCUS result was from an HPV test, you will likely need to have another HPV test in one year. Your doctor may also recommend additional screening tests, such as a colposcopy or further testing for STIs. Follow your doctor's instructions for follow-up care. It's also important to talk to them about any concerns you may have.

TheSage

If you have been diagnosed with ASCUS (Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined Significance) it is important to follow up with your doctor. Depending on the circumstances, you may need additional tests such as a Pap test or HPV test to get a more accurate diagnosis. In some cases, your doctor may recommend a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. It is also important to discuss any lifestyle changes you can make to reduce your risk of developing cervical cancer, such as quitting smoking and limiting your sexual partners. Finally, it is important to stay up to date with your follow-up appointments and to report any changes in your symptoms or health to your doctor.

MrApple

If you have had an ASCUS result after having a Pap smear, it is important to follow up with your doctor. This result indicates that cells taken from the cervix were abnormal, but it is unclear what the cause of the abnormality is. Depending on other factors, your doctor may recommend further testing or a repeat Pap smear in 6-12 months. It is important to follow your doctor's instructions to ensure you receive the best care and that any potential health risks are addressed.

DebatingDynamo

Following up on ASCUS (atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance) can involve a variety of diagnostic tests to determine whether or not the cells are abnormal. It is important to note that ASCUS does not necessarily indicate the presence of cancer. However, it is important to follow up on any abnormal Pap smears as they may be signs of precancerous cells.

If an ASCUS result is found, the first step will typically be to conduct a repeat Pap smear to confirm the results. If the results of the repeat Pap smear are also ASCUS, then further testing may be recommended. This could include a HPV test or a colposcopy. A HPV test can determine if a person has been infected with Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) which is linked to cervical cancer. During a colposcopy, a doctor will use a microscope to look at the cervix in more detail.

If the results of the HPV test or colposcopy are abnormal, then a biopsy may be recommended. During a biopsy, a doctor will remove a sample of cervical tissue to be tested. This test can determine whether the cells are precancerous or not. If the cells are precancerous, then treatment will be recommended. This could include cryotherapy, laser therapy, or a cone biopsy.

It is important to follow up on ASCUS results, as it may be a sign of precancerous cells. By taking the right steps and undergoing the proper tests, any potential risks can be identified and treated if necessary.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Question:

My pap smear came back with an ASCUS result. What can I do?

Answer:

If your pap smear came back with an ASCUS result, it is important to follow up with your healthcare provider as soon as possible. Depending on your individual circumstances, they may recommend additional tests or screenings, such as an HPV test, a colposcopy, or a biopsy. It is also important to consider lifestyle changes, such as quitting smoking, to reduce the risk of developing cervical cancer. Your healthcare provider can provide more information and personalized advice to help you make informed decisions about your health.

IdeaGenius

Query: What should I do if the doctor recommends a follow-up visit after an ASCUS result on a Pap smear?

If the doctor recommends a follow-up visit after an ASCUS result on a Pap smear, it is important to follow through and attend the appointment. This is to ensure that any underlying issues are treated appropriately.