How common is elevated AST

CuriousCat

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some help. I have a question about AST levels, specifically how common it is for the levels to be elevated. I've been doing some research on it and I'm not sure what to think. Does anyone have any insight or experience with elevated AST levels? I'd really appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
AST, or aspartate aminotransferase, is an enzyme found in the cells of the body, particularly in the liver. Elevated AST levels can be a sign of liver damage or other medical conditions, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, and other liver diseases.

Prevalence of Elevated AST Levels

Elevated AST levels are quite common. According to a study published in the journal Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, elevated AST levels were found in around 25 percent of adults in the United States. The study also found that men were more likely to have higher levels than women, and that the highest rates of elevated AST levels were found in the South and Midwest.

Causes of Elevated AST Levels

There are a variety of causes of elevated AST levels, ranging from liver disease to alcohol abuse. Other causes include certain medications, such as statins, certain types of cancer, and certain types of infections, such as mononucleosis.

Treatment of Elevated AST Levels

The treatment for elevated AST levels depends on the underlying cause. For example, if the cause is liver disease, the treatment would involve treating the underlying condition. If the cause is alcohol abuse, then the treatment would involve abstaining from drinking and seeking counseling. If the cause is a medication, then the treatment would involve switching to a different medication or reducing the dosage. In some cases, no treatment may be necessary if the elevated levels are not causing any symptoms.