Does pancreatitis cause low or high calcium

IdeaGenius

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with pancreatitis and how it affects calcium levels. Does pancreatitis cause low or high calcium levels? What have been your experiences, if any? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Does Pancreatitis Cause Low or High Calcium?

Pancreatitis is a condition that causes inflammation in the pancreas, an organ located near the stomach. The pancreas produces enzymes that help with digestion, as well as hormones that help regulate blood sugar. When the pancreas becomes inflamed, it can cause severe abdominal pain and other symptoms. It can also cause changes in calcium levels in the body, though it is not always clear how this happens.

Calcium is an essential mineral for many bodily functions, including muscle contraction, nerve signaling, and blood clotting. It is found in dairy products, green leafy vegetables, and certain nuts and seeds. Calcium is also stored in the bones, and it is released from the bones when the body needs it.

In some cases, pancreatitis can cause low calcium levels. This is often the result of the body not absorbing enough calcium from food or releasing too much calcium from the bones. Low calcium levels can cause a range of symptoms, such as muscle cramps, fatigue, and confusion.

In other cases, pancreatitis can cause high calcium levels. High calcium levels can be caused by the pancreas releasing too much of the hormone calcitonin, which helps regulate calcium levels in the body. High calcium levels can cause nausea, vomiting, confusion, and kidney stones.

It is important to talk with a doctor if pancreatitis is suspected. The doctor can order tests to confirm the diagnosis and to check calcium levels in the body. Treatment for pancreatitis may include antibiotics, pain medication, and dietary changes. In some cases, surgery may be needed. Treatment for high or low calcium levels may include dietary changes, supplements, and medications.