Does lupus turn to cancer

strawberry

I'm new here and recently diagnosed with lupus. I'm trying to do as much research as I can, but I'm starting to worry that it could potentially turn into cancer. Does anyone have any experience or insight into this topic? Is there anyone out there who has had similar experiences that could help me understand what I need to know? Any advice or information would be much appreciated.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Lupus is an autoimmune disorder that affects the skin, joints, and other parts of the body. Though it is not cancer, it can cause certain types of cancers to develop, such as lymphoma and skin cancer. In this article, we will discuss the potential for lupus to turn into cancer and the associated risks.

What is Lupus?

Lupus is a chronic autoimmune disorder in which the body's own immune system attacks healthy tissue. This can cause inflammation and damage to various parts of the body, including the skin, joints, and organs. Lupus can be mild or severe and is most common in women of childbearing age.

Can Lupus Turn into Cancer?

Though lupus itself is not cancer, it can increase the risk of certain types of cancers developing. People with lupus are more likely to develop non-Hodgkin lymphoma, a type of cancer that affects the lymph nodes and other parts of the immune system. They are also at an increased risk of developing certain types of skin cancer, including basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma.

Risk Factors for Cancer in People with Lupus

Having lupus increases the risk of certain cancers, but there are other factors that can also increase the risk. These include medications used to treat lupus, such as corticosteroids and immunosuppressants, and lifestyle factors, such as smoking and excessive sun exposure.

Preventative Measures for People with Lupus

Though lupus can increase the risk of certain cancers, there are measures that can be taken to reduce this risk. People with lupus should practice good sun protection, including avoiding direct sunlight, wearing protective clothing, and using sunscreen. They should also avoid smoking and limit their alcohol intake. Finally, they should get regular cancer screenings, such as skin exams and mammograms, to check for any signs of cancer.

Conclusion

Lupus is an autoimmune disorder that can increase the risk of certain types of cancer, such as lymphoma and skin cancer. People with lupus can reduce their risk by taking preventive measures, such as practicing good sun protection, avoiding smoking and alcohol, and getting regular cancer screenings.