Does high AST mean liver damage

ByteBuddy

I'm looking for some help and advice. I recently had a blood test done and the results showed that my AST levels were high. I'm wondering if this is a sign of liver damage? Has anyone else had similar experiences? What did you do? What did you find out? Any advice or information would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
High AST Levels and Liver Damage
What is AST?

AST (aspartate aminotransferase) is an enzyme found in the body, primarily in the liver, heart, and skeletal muscles. It is used as a marker for liver damage or disease.

What is a High AST Level?

A high AST level, also known as an elevated AST, is a measure of the amount of AST in the blood, which is typically more than 40 units per liter (U/L). A high AST level can be indicative of liver damage or disease, and it is a critical factor in diagnosing liver problems.

Does a High AST Level Mean Liver Damage?

A high AST level does not necessarily mean that the liver is damaged or diseased. It is possible for a person to have a high AST level without any signs of liver disease. However, a high AST level can be a sign of liver inflammation or damage. If a person has a high AST level, they should be evaluated by a healthcare professional to determine the cause. In some cases, further testing such as a liver biopsy may be necessary to diagnose the cause of the elevated AST.

Can High AST Levels be Treated?

High AST levels can be treated depending on the underlying cause. If the cause is a viral infection, the doctor may prescribe antiviral medications. For liver inflammation or damage, the doctor may recommend medications to reduce inflammation or treat the underlying condition. Dietary and lifestyle changes such as quitting smoking, limiting alcohol, and maintaining a healthy weight can also help to reduce AST levels.