Does high ALT and AST mean cancer

CuriousCat

"I'm really worried because I recently had a blood test and my ALT and AST levels are high. Does this mean I have cancer? I'm hoping someone here can help me understand what could be causing this and what I should do next. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Does High ALT and AST Mean Cancer?

When it comes to liver health, ALT (alanine aminotransferase) and AST (aspartate aminotransferase) are two of the most important tests. Both of these enzymes are found in the liver, and when the levels of either one is elevated, it can be a sign of liver damage or disease. But does an elevated ALT and AST level mean cancer?

ALT and AST Levels

ALT and AST are enzymes naturally present in the liver. They help the liver break down proteins into energy. When the liver is damaged or dysfunctional, these enzymes can leak into the bloodstream, causing the ALT and AST levels to become elevated. When this happens, it's important to get tested to determine the cause.

Cancer and ALT and AST Levels

An elevated ALT and AST level can be a sign of liver damage or disease, but it doesn't necessarily mean cancer. While cancer can cause elevated ALT and AST levels, there are many other potential causes, such as hepatitis, alcohol abuse, and certain medications. It's important to get tested to determine the cause of the elevated levels.

Diagnosing Liver Cancer

If cancer is suspected, further testing is usually needed to confirm the diagnosis. This may include imaging tests, such as an ultrasound or CT scan, or a biopsy. In some cases, blood tests may be used to look for certain markers that are associated with liver cancer.

Treating Liver Cancer

If liver cancer is diagnosed, treatment will depend on the type and stage of the cancer. Treatment may include surgery, radiation therapy, or chemotherapy. In some cases, a combination of treatments may be used.

The bottom line is that an elevated ALT and AST level can be a sign of liver damage or disease, but it doesn't necessarily mean cancer. It's important to get tested to determine the cause of the elevated levels. If cancer is suspected, further testing is usually needed to confirm the diagnosis.