Does chronic pancreatitis come on slowly

DigitalExplorer

I'm looking for help from other forum users regarding chronic pancreatitis. I understand that this is a long-term condition, but does it come on slowly over time? I'm trying to understand more about this condition and how it might affect me or someone I know in the future. Can anyone with experience of chronic pancreatitis please share their knowledge? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Chronic pancreatitis is a long-term inflammation of the pancreas, a large organ located behind the stomach. In most cases, chronic pancreatitis develops slowly over many years.

Symptoms of Chronic Pancreatitis

Chronic pancreatitis may cause abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and weight loss. People with chronic pancreatitis may also have oily, smelly stools. These symptoms may worsen after eating a fatty meal or drinking alcohol.

Causes of Chronic Pancreatitis

The most common causes of chronic pancreatitis are long-term alcohol abuse and genetic factors. Other possible causes include certain medications, infections, and trauma to the pancreas.

Diagnosis of Chronic Pancreatitis

Your doctor may use imaging tests such as an ultrasound, CT scan, or MRI to diagnose chronic pancreatitis. Your doctor may also use a blood test to measure enzyme levels.

Treatment of Chronic Pancreatitis

Treatment for chronic pancreatitis will depend on the underlying cause. In some cases, your doctor may recommend lifestyle changes such as avoiding alcohol or dietary changes. In other cases, medications or surgery may be necessary.