Does chronic pancreatitis cause raised amylase

ByteBuddy

"Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping someone can help me. I've recently been told I have chronic pancreatitis and I'm wondering if this can cause raised amylase levels. Does anyone have experience with this? Could you share what your experience has been and how it was managed? Any advice or information would be very much appreciated.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Yes, chronic pancreatitis can cause raised amylase levels. Amylase is an enzyme produced mainly by the pancreas and salivary glands. It helps to break down starches and carbohydrates into simpler compounds that can be more easily absorbed by the body. In people with chronic pancreatitis, the pancreas can become inflamed and damaged, leading to higher levels of amylase in the blood.

Symptoms of Chronic Pancreatitis

Chronic pancreatitis can cause a range of symptoms, including abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, weight loss, and oily stools. Other symptoms can include changes in appetite, fever, jaundice, and fatigue.

Diagnosis of Chronic Pancreatitis

The diagnosis of chronic pancreatitis is based on a combination of medical history, physical examination, and laboratory tests. Blood tests, such as amylase levels, are often used to help diagnose chronic pancreatitis. Imaging tests, such as an abdominal CT scan or MRI, can be used to look for signs of inflammation or damage to the pancreas.

Treatment of Chronic Pancreatitis

Treatment of chronic pancreatitis depends on the severity of the condition. In mild cases, lifestyle changes can help reduce symptoms. These changes can include quitting smoking, avoiding alcohol, and eating a low-fat diet. Medications, such as pain relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs, can also be used to manage pain and inflammation. In more severe cases, surgery may be necessary to remove damaged tissue from the pancreas.