Do you feel sleepy after taking azithromycin

DigitalExplorer

I recently started taking azithromycin for an infection, and since then I've been feeling really sleepy. Has anyone else experienced this side effect? I'm wondering if I should talk to my doctor about it, or if this is something that will pass over time.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Azithromycin is an antibiotic medication commonly used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. It is a macrolide-type antibiotic and can be used to treat a variety of conditions, including sinus infections, bronchitis, ear infections, and skin infections. While many people tolerate azithromycin well, some may experience side effects, including feeling drowsy.

Does Azithromycin Make You Sleepy?

Azithromycin is not likely to make you sleepy. However, some people may experience drowsiness as a side effect of taking the medication. This is more likely to happen if you take a high dose of the medication. If you experience drowsiness after taking azithromycin, it is important to speak to your doctor. They may be able to reduce your dose or provide alternative medications that do not cause this side effect.

What Other Side Effects May I Experience?

In addition to drowsiness, some people may experience other side effects after taking azithromycin. These may include nausea, headaches, dizziness, and diarrhea. If you experience any of these side effects, it is important to speak to your doctor. They may be able to provide you with relief from these side effects or suggest alternative antibiotic treatments.

Can I Take Azithromycin and Sleep Aids Together?

It is not recommended to take azithromycin and sleep aids together. Combining these two medications can cause drowsiness to become worse. If you are having trouble sleeping while taking azithromycin, it is important to speak to your doctor. They may be able to provide you with alternative sleep aids or suggest lifestyle changes that may help you get a better night’s sleep.