Do antacids help with pancreatitis

DigitalExplorer

I'm looking for some help understanding if antacids can help with pancreatitis. I haven't been able to find much information online and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this. Does anyone have any advice on whether antacids can help with pancreatitis? Are there any risks or side effects to consider? Any stories or advice from personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Do Antacids Help with Pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis is a serious condition that affects the pancreas and can cause severe abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. While there is no cure for pancreatitis, many treatments exist to help manage symptoms and reduce the risk of developing complications. One such treatment is the use of antacids to reduce stomach acid and help manage symptoms.

Antacids are medications that neutralize stomach acid and provide relief from heartburn and other symptoms caused by acid reflux. They come in the form of tablets, liquids, powders, and chewable tablets. Common antacids include calcium carbonate, aluminum hydroxide, and magnesium hydroxide.

While antacids can provide relief from acid reflux and heartburn, there is conflicting evidence as to whether or not they can help with pancreatitis. Some studies suggest that antacids may help to reduce the symptoms of pancreatitis, while others have found no benefit.

In a study published in the journal Gastroenterology in 2011, researchers found that antacids may provide relief from the abdominal pain and other symptoms associated with pancreatitis. The study included 25 patients with acute pancreatitis and found that those who took antacids experienced a significant reduction in their pain.

In contrast, another study published in the journal Gastroenterology and Hepatology in 2016 found that antacids did not provide any benefit to patients with pancreatitis. The study included 50 patients and found that those who took antacids did not experience any improvement in their symptoms.

The conflicting evidence suggests that more research is needed to determine whether or not antacids can be used to treat pancreatitis. While antacids may be able to provide some relief from the symptoms of pancreatitis, it is important to speak with a doctor before taking any medications.