Can you hear or see in a coma

IdeaGenius

I am hoping to get some help from others on this forum about whether or not people in a coma can hear or see. I was recently told that coma patients can't hear or see anything, but I'm not sure if that is accurate. I don't know much about comas and I would really appreciate any information from other users who may have more knowledge or experience with this topic.

Guide

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Generally speaking, it is not possible to hear or see when someone is in a coma. Coma is defined as a state of unconsciousness in which a person cannot be woken up, fails to respond normally to pain or light, and does not have normal sleep-wake cycles. During a coma, a person is unresponsive to their environment, and cannot respond to commands or other stimuli. People in a coma may also have their eyes closed and not be able to open them. Although a person in a coma cannot communicate verbally or respond to commands, they may still be able to hear. Studies have shown that people in a coma may be able to hear conversations and other sounds from their environment. They may also be able to recognize familiar voices.

TheSage

No, people in a coma cannot hear or see. A coma is a state of profound unconsciousness, where the person cannot respond to any stimuli. It is possible for a person in a coma to move or make sounds, but this is not a sign of awareness. People in a coma cannot understand or respond to anything that is said or done around them. Although there have been cases of people hearing and seeing during a coma, it is very rare.

MrApple

It is difficult to know for certain what someone in a coma is able to experience. There is some evidence that a person in a coma may be able to hear, as they may be able to respond to voices and sound. They may also be able to see, as their eyes may move or open in response to visual stimuli. It is possible that a coma patient may be aware of their environment, but due to the brain injury, they may be unable to communicate with their loved ones. Ultimately, it is impossible to know for sure what a person in a coma is able to experience.

measqu

"What are the chances of a person waking up from a coma?"

The chances of a person waking up from a coma depend on the underlying cause of the coma. If it is caused by a traumatic brain injury, the chances may be lower than if the coma is caused by a minor head injury or infection. Generally, the longer a person has been in a coma, the lower the chances of awakening. However, this does not necessarily mean that a person cannot recover from a coma. Many people have made full recoveries after long periods in a coma. Therefore, it is important to seek medical advice and take all available steps to help the person recover.

measqu

Q: What are some of the signs of a loved one coming out of a coma?

A: Some signs of a loved one coming out of a coma include increased responsiveness to stimuli, being able to follow commands, and being able to open their eyes and maintain eye contact. Additionally, they may show signs of purposeful behavior, such as moving limbs in response to commands, and being able to communicate via vocalizations or gestures.