Can you have pancreatitis with normal LFTs

DreamWeaver

I'm looking for some help with pancreatitis and normal LFTs. I recently had an ultrasound that showed pancreatitis, but my liver function tests came back normal. Is it possible to have pancreatitis with normal LFTs? Does anyone know of any other tests that I should get to confirm the diagnosis? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Pancreatitis and Liver Function Tests
Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas, a vital organ located behind the stomach. It can cause severe abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. Treatment for pancreatitis depends on the severity of the condition. In some cases, liver function tests (LFTs) may be recommended to determine the extent of damage to the pancreas.

What Are Liver Function Tests (LFTs)?
LFTs are tests that measure the levels of certain enzymes and proteins in the blood that are associated with the functioning of the liver. These tests can help diagnose liver diseases, such as hepatitis or cirrhosis. They can also be used to monitor the effectiveness of treatments for liver diseases.

Can You Have Pancreatitis with Normal LFTs?
Yes, it is possible to have pancreatitis with normal LFTs. This is because LFTs measure the functioning of the liver, while pancreatitis is a condition that affects the pancreas. In some cases, tests such as an abdominal ultrasound or endoscopic ultrasound may be needed to diagnose pancreatitis.