Can you have pancreatitis with normal amylase

CuriousCat

I'm hoping to get some help from other forum users about my question on pancreatitis and normal amylase levels. I recently had some tests done that showed normal amylase levels, but I'm still having pain in my abdomen that could be indicative of pancreatitis. Is it possible to have pancreatitis with normal amylase levels? If so, what other tests do you recommend I get done? I'm looking for any advice or help that the forum users may be able to offer.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Yes, it is possible to have pancreatitis with normal amylase levels. Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas, a large organ behind the stomach that produces digestive enzymes and hormones. Amylase is an enzyme produced by the pancreas and secreted into the small intestine. Elevated levels of amylase in the blood may indicate acute pancreatitis. However, it is possible to have pancreatitis even if the blood amylase levels are normal.

Symptoms of Pancreatitis with Normal Amylase

The most common symptom of pancreatitis is abdominal pain. This pain may be felt in the upper abdomen, the back, or the sides. Other symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, fever, chills, and jaundice. In some cases, patients may also experience weight loss, fatigue, and diarrhea.

Diagnosing Pancreatitis with Normal Amylase

There are several tests that can be used to diagnose pancreatitis when amylase levels are normal. These include imaging tests such as CT scans, MRI scans, and ultrasounds. Other tests may include endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP), and pancreatic function tests.

Treatment of Pancreatitis with Normal Amylase

Treatment of pancreatitis with normal amylase levels may include lifestyle changes, such as avoiding alcohol and tobacco, and medications to reduce pain and inflammation. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to remove damaged or blocked tissue. In severe cases, hospitalization and intensive care may be necessary.