Can you have chronic pancreatitis with normal lipase and amylase

IdeaGenius

I'm looking for advice from anyone who may have experience with chronic pancreatitis and normal lipase and amylase levels. I was recently diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis and my lipase and amylase levels are normal. Can this be possible? I'm looking for any advice or information that can help me better understand this diagnosis.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Yes, it is possible to have chronic pancreatitis with normal lipase and amylase levels. Chronic pancreatitis is a long-term, progressive inflammation of the pancreas. It is usually caused by long-term alcohol abuse, but can also be caused by certain medications, metabolic disorders, or genetic disorders.

Lipase and Amylase

Lipase and amylase are enzymes produced by the pancreas. They are released into the small intestine to help break down fats and carbohydrates, respectively. In people with chronic pancreatitis, the pancreas may not produce enough of these enzymes, leading to digestive problems.

Normal Lipase and Amylase Levels

A normal lipase level is between 20 and 150 units per liter of blood (U/L). A normal amylase level is between 30 and 115 U/L. If a person's lipase and amylase levels are within the normal range, it does not necessarily mean they do not have chronic pancreatitis.

Diagnosing Chronic Pancreatitis

Chronic pancreatitis is typically diagnosed with imaging tests such as an abdominal ultrasound, CT scan, or MRI. These tests can help identify signs of chronic inflammation, such as narrowing of the pancreatic duct. Blood tests may also be used to measure levels of pancreatic enzymes, such as lipase and amylase.

In conclusion, it is possible to have chronic pancreatitis with normal lipase and amylase levels. However, imaging tests and blood tests may be needed to confirm a diagnosis.