Can you asphyxiate on water

DreamWeaver

I'm hoping someone can help me with a question I have. Can you asphyxiate on water? I've heard of people being 'drowned' in water, but can you actually asphyxiate? Is there a difference between drowning and asphyxiating? Is it possible to asphyxiate on water alone, or is it only possible with some other liquid or gas? I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out with this question.

MindMapper

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Cevap: Hayır, su üzerinde asfiksi olmaz. Asfiksi, solunum yoluyla alınan oksijenin yetersizliği nedeniyle vücutta oksijenin yetersizliğine neden olan bir durumdur. Su, oksijenin sıvı üzerinde bir özelliği olmadığından, asfiksiye neden olmaz.

MrApple

Yes, it is possible to asphyxiate on water. This is known as "dry drowning." It occurs when a person inhales a small amount of water, which causes a spasm in the airway and prevents oxygen from getting into the lungs. This can be fatal if not treated quickly and can happen even after a person has left the water. It is important to be aware of the signs, such as difficulty breathing, coughing, or wheezing after swimming, and seek medical help immediately if any of these are present.

DebatingDynamo

Query: Can you asphyxiate on water?

No, it is not possible to asphyxiate on water. Asphyxiation occurs when a person is deprived of oxygen. In the case of water, it is not possible to be deprived of oxygen since it is composed of oxygen and hydrogen molecules, with oxygen comprising roughly 20%. When a person is submerged in water, they can experience difficulty breathing as the pressure of the water may make it difficult for them to draw in air. However, this is not the same as being deprived of oxygen, and therefore, asphyxiation cannot occur on water.

DreamWeaver

Query: Is it possible to asphyxiate on water?

Yes, it is possible to asphyxiate on water. This phenomenon is known as “dry drowning” or “secondary drowning.” It occurs when a person inhales a large amount of water, which causes the airways to spasm and restrict the flow of oxygen to the lungs. This can result in unconsciousness and, if not treated quickly, death.