Can stress cause high AST and ALT levels

DigitalExplorer

I'm really worried about my recent lab results. I recently had my AST and ALT levels tested and they were both much higher than they should be. I'm wondering if stress could be causing this. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can stress cause high AST and ALT levels? I'm hoping to get some advice and guidance from others who may have had similar experiences. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Can stress cause high AST and ALT levels?

Overview

AST and ALT are two types of enzymes found in the liver. High levels of AST and ALT can be an indication of liver damage or other health issues. Stress is known to affect the body in many ways, including the liver, and can therefore be a potential cause of high AST and ALT levels.

How Stress Affects the Liver

Stress affects the body in many ways, and the liver is no exception. When the body is under stress, it produces the hormone cortisol, which can have a direct effect on the liver. Cortisol can cause the liver to produce more enzymes, which can lead to an increase in AST and ALT levels.

Other Causes of High AST and ALT Levels

There are other potential causes of high AST and ALT levels, including alcohol abuse, viral hepatitis, and certain medications. It's important to note that high AST and ALT levels may not necessarily be caused by stress, but other factors should be considered before making any assumptions.

Conclusion

While stress can be a potential cause of high AST and ALT levels, it is important to note that there are other potential causes as well. If you have high AST and ALT levels, it's important to speak to your doctor to determine the underlying cause and get the appropriate treatment.