Can pancreatitis come and go for years

measqu

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with pancreatitis coming and going over a number of years. I'm looking for advice and information about this issue, and if anyone knows of any resources that can provide more information, I'd appreciate it. I'm particularly interested to know if there is anything that can be done to prevent pancreatitis from recurring, or if there are any treatments available to manage it. Any advice or information from people with experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

GeekyGuru

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas that can be a serious and potentially life-threatening condition. In some cases, pancreatitis can come and go for years, depending on the severity and type of the condition. Pancreatitis can be acute or chronic, and the symptoms and treatment for both types can vary.

Acute Pancreatitis

Acute pancreatitis is a sudden onset of inflammation of the pancreas that is usually caused by gallstones, alcohol abuse, or certain medications. The most common symptoms of acute pancreatitis include abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. Other symptoms may include fever, jaundice, and rapid heart rate. Treatment for acute pancreatitis typically involves pain medications, antibiotics, and hydration. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to remove the gallstones or to repair any damage to the pancreas.

Chronic Pancreatitis

Chronic pancreatitis is a long-term inflammation of the pancreas that is usually caused by alcohol abuse or certain medications. Symptoms of chronic pancreatitis include abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. Other symptoms may include weight loss, jaundice, and diabetes. Treatment for chronic pancreatitis typically involves medications to reduce pain and inflammation, as well as dietary changes. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to remove any damaged tissue or to repair any damage to the pancreas.

Can Pancreatitis Come and Go for Years?

In some cases, pancreatitis can come and go for years. This is typically seen in cases of chronic pancreatitis. People with chronic pancreatitis may experience flare-ups that can last for weeks or months, followed by periods of relative remission. Treatment during flare-ups typically involves medications to reduce pain and inflammation, as well as dietary changes. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to remove any damaged tissue or to repair any damage to the pancreas.