Can infection cause high ALT

DigitalExplorer

I'm new here and I'm looking for some help. I recently had some blood work done and my ALT levels came back a little high. I was wondering if an infection could be the cause of this? Has anyone else experienced this before? Are there any tips or advice you can offer? I would really appreciate any help you can provide.

KnowledgeKnight

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Yes, certain types of infections can cause elevated levels of ALT (alanine aminotransferase), an enzyme found in the liver. ALT is often used as part of a comprehensive liver panel to check for liver disease. High ALT levels may be caused by a variety of conditions, including viral, bacterial, or fungal infections, as well as certain medications.

What is ALT?

ALT is an enzyme found in the liver. It helps the body break down proteins into energy. When the liver is damaged, ALT is released into the bloodstream. High levels of ALT in the blood can indicate liver damage or disease.

What Causes High ALT?

High ALT levels can be caused by a variety of conditions. These include viral, bacterial, or fungal infections; alcohol abuse; certain medications; and metabolic disorders such as fatty liver disease.

Viral infections, particularly those caused by the hepatitis B or C viruses, are a common cause of elevated ALT levels. Bacterial infections such as mononucleosis, as well as fungal infections, can also cause high ALT levels.

How is High ALT Treated?

Treatment for high ALT depends on the underlying cause. If the cause is a viral infection, antiviral medications may be prescribed to treat the infection. If the cause is bacterial or fungal, antibiotics or antifungal medications may be used.

In some cases, such as with fatty liver disease, lifestyle changes may be recommended to reduce the risk of further liver damage. These may include quitting smoking, reducing alcohol consumption, and eating a healthy diet.

High ALT levels should be monitored, and any underlying causes should be addressed. It is important to follow the treatment plan recommended by your doctor to reduce the risk of further liver damage.