Can infection cause high ALT and AST

strawberry

I'm looking for some help regarding infection and high ALT and AST levels. I recently had a blood test and my ALT and AST levels were both very high. My doctor believes it could be due to an infection. Has anyone else had a similar experience? If so, I'd love to hear your story and any advice you can offer.

TechJunkie

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Can infection cause high ALT and AST?

Subtitle: What Are ALT and AST?

ALT and AST are two enzymes present in the liver. ALT stands for alanine transaminase, and AST stands for aspartate transaminase. Both enzymes are released when the liver is damaged or inflamed. Elevated levels of ALT and AST in the blood can indicate a range of liver diseases or conditions, including infections.

Subtitle: Can Infection Cause High ALT and AST?

The simple answer is yes, infection can cause high ALT and AST. Infection of the liver, also known as hepatitis, is a common cause of elevated ALT and AST. Viral hepatitis, which is caused by the hepatitis A, B, C, D, and E viruses, is the most common form of hepatitis and is the most common cause of high ALT and AST. Other infections can also cause elevated ALT and AST, including bacterial infections, fungal infections, and parasitic infections.

Subtitle: What Are the Symptoms of Infection-Related High ALT and AST?

The symptoms of infection-related high ALT and AST depend on the type of infection and the severity of the infection. Common symptoms of viral hepatitis include fatigue, jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes), dark urine, clay-colored stools, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and loss of appetite. Other infections may cause similar symptoms or may have their own unique symptoms.

Subtitle: How Is Infection-Related High ALT and AST Treated?

The treatment of infection-related high ALT and AST depends on the type of infection and the severity of the infection. Treatment may involve medications to fight the infection, such as antibiotics or antifungals, or medications to reduce inflammation and liver damage, such as corticosteroids. In some cases, surgery may be necessary to treat the infection. It is important to follow the advice of your doctor and to take all medications as prescribed.