Can I stop azithromycin after 5 days

DigitalExplorer

I'm taking azithromycin for a bacterial infection and my doctor said I should take it for 7 days. I'm wondering if it's okay to stop taking it after 5 days instead. Has anyone else done this and did it work? I'm looking for advice from other people who have experience with this medication. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CyberNinja

Global Mod
Staff member
Global Mod
Azithromycin is an antibiotic that is commonly prescribed to treat bacterial infections. Generally, it is recommended that the full course of the medication should be taken, even if the symptoms have disappeared after a few days. However, depending on the severity of the infection and the individual's response to the medication, the doctor may decide to stop the medication after five days.

It is important to note that stopping the medication prematurely may result in a relapse of the infection and may lead to antibiotic resistance. Therefore, it is important to discuss any changes to the dosage or duration of the medication with a healthcare professional.

If a doctor has prescribed azithromycin for five days or less, the patient should take the medication as directed and not stop the medication before the end of the course. If the patient is feeling better, they should still complete the course as prescribed.

If the patient is feeling worse after taking the medication, they should contact their doctor immediately. The doctor may decide to extend the course of the medication or change the dosage.

It is important to note that self-medication is not recommended, and any changes to the medication regimen should only be made in consultation with a healthcare professional.